POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Unexpected Abstract (168k jpg) : Re: Dunes (64k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dunes (64k jpg)
From: Reactor
Date: 11 Aug 2008 16:15:01
Message: <web.48a09d3e4025b6ec9bfe5600@news.povray.org>
stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
..
> Anything can be done, but at what cost? Isosurfaces are already slow,
> and to incorporate erosion... well, I hope you won't be using your
> computer for a while :)
>
> I'd rather make it work with height_fields, but in a more dynamic way
> than it is now. I don't know how to do this yet, though.
>
> Sam

The reason why I am interested in isosurfaces as landscapes is their resolution
independence and the fact that they permit overhangs.  As fast and simple as
the heightfield is, certain landscapes cannot be done well with them.  I've
developed a fascination with canyon landscapes recently, and I'm always on the
lookout for alternate techniques.

Attached is a picture created using meshes (which does ok except getting the
texture to match the rock layers is very difficult.)

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cliffscene6ft.jpg' (81 KB)